Thursday, January 18, 2007

Bloody shame really

The Noida serial killings have illustrated several points (Police apathy, politicians taking advantage of the situation, that sort of thing), but one point that I observed was that the media was abysmal at handling the issue. Report were rife with idle speculation, wild theories and outright false facts. We sure seem to catching up with our western counterparts.

Oh and apparently, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav will be offering the victims' families plots of land as 'compensation'.

"While our tangled bureaucracy and outmoded policies may have indirectly led the murder of your loved ones, we feel obligated to replace their lives with a parcel of land (which you may or may not actually get). In case you're wondering, Yes, we are trying to buy you off."

Now there's a politician who knows his bees-knees.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how some of the families were treated when they tried to file an initial missing persons report. I wanted to cry.

liz said...

yes and India's response to cricket matches are more overwhelming than something so heinous. The whole incident shocked us, but sadly never moved us.